If you’re in the market for a new home, you may find yourself considering one constructed of masonry. Over the years, working with masonry in Chicago, Fortune Restoration has labored to keep many of the historical homes in Chicagoland repaired and looking as beautiful as the day they were built. So, we’re familiar with the advantages, as well as the drawbacks, of masonry construction, and we’d like to share some of our knowledge with you, especially if you’re considering buying a masonry home.
Types of masonry construction and their advantages:
Brick- When thinking of masonry construction, most people think brick, and no one can doubt its many advantages.
• Appearance – A brick exterior gives a home a look that’s both timeless and refined.
• Fire-resistant –Brick provides a fire-resistant covering that increases the home’s value. Fire resistance also makes them cheaper to insure than frame homes.
• Lower utility bills – Research shows that brick lowers heating and cooling costs by as much as eight percent.
• Weather resistant – Brick homes can withstand high winds, as well as damage from debris blown around during windy conditions.
• Durability – Properly constructed and maintained, brick homes are extremely durable. Proof of their durability lies in the countless thousands of beautiful, historical homes in the Chicagoland area.
But brick isn’t perfect. It’s not very effective in resisting water, and water seepage can create problems with mold and mildew. Also, because of its weight, brick places a lot of stress on both the structure and foundation of a home, and repairs can be expensive.
Stone– Like brick, stone is durable and fire-resistant. Well-built stone structures can stand for centuries. Stone is also very attractive and virtually maintenance free.
Stucco– As a building material, stucco is highly durable, and like brick and stone, is highly resistant to damage. But like brick, stucco can also absorb moisture.
Concrete– Due to the size and density of concrete blocks, walls can be built quickly, and if filled with concrete, blocks provide great insulation and lower utility bills.
At Fortune Restoration, working with all types of masonry in Chicago is one of our specialties. If you’re thinking of buying a masonry home, call us at (847) 647-2500 and let one of our masonry specialists give you a free, no-obligation inspection and estimate on work that may be needed to keep that home both safe and beautiful for decades to come.